Google

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Best Sled Dog I Own

This is Luke.

Luke is Hagar and Lucky's son and the best dog out of their litter. At 3 years of age he is the best lead dog I own. He holds the line tight during hitch-up, gees and haws (turns left or right) on command, will break a trail, has perfect feet, has a great appetite, can follow an old trail, is friendly with everyone... Shall I go on?

I like all my dogs, but appreciate my hard workers the most. Even my hard workers have their quirks. Luke has very few quirks. He's only 3 so there are things he hasn't learned to do yet, but so far he has mastered each new challenge. More then anything, he wants to please me. If he knows I want him to do something, he works at it and figures it out.

He weighs 68 pounds with long legs and body and a perfect coat for the region, not too long and not too short. Luke is perfectly suited for our corner of the world. He can handle the -30 and -40 degrees we're having right now, but can also mush above freezing if need be. He has the physical ability to do anything he wants, but it's his head that sets him apart. He does tire both physically and mentally, just not often.

We have a special bond Luke and I. Together we drive our team of dogs. I wouldn't have gotten the miles on the dogs without him. Of all the dogs in the team, he's the one I count on most. I'm looking forward to running the race with him next week. I can't wait to see how he reacts to yet another challenge.

2 comments:

Ted Heistman said...

Kyle,

You don't know me, but I found your blog from a link on Swannys page. I know Swanny through an yahoo e-mail list I started called "old school dogs" It is a list for people with the type of dogs you have, old fashioned working sled dogs.

I used to have a team of sled dogs in Northern Minnesota for a short time. Anyway,my plan is to go to Alaska in June and start persuing my dream of living a substinence life in Bush Alaska with sled dogs.

You have an awesome blog, very inspiring! You are a good writer too. I really wish you the best of luck on the Kusko, we have the same taste in sled dogs. Good luck!

Ted

Ted Heistman said...

Btw, here is a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oldschooldogs/