Google

Friday, January 18, 2008

Time to Go

We'll be loading up the dogs and heading to the starting line in a few hours. The dogs are ready. I've been loading the sled and they know it's time. Luke is ready to rock. He's whining and whimping and dancing around.

We've been laying low, resting and eating. The dogs look fantastic. Their weight is perfect and they are well hydrated and rested. We've been staying with the Vanasse family here in Bethel. The hospitality is off the charts. Everyone has made us feel very welcome. These people know how to put on a dog race.

Yesterday was rather busy. We dropped off the food drop bags at two airlines, had caribou soup at the K300 feed store, then a musher's meeting at 4:00, and finally we chose our starting positions on KYUK TV and radio. It's interesting being in the same room, and indeed the same race, as all these folks I've only ever seen on the internet or in magazines. I've enjoyed meeting them.

Been a long time since I've felt this way. Everything is ready and it's time to go. Of all the emotions, worry is not one of them. A million different things could, and probably will, happen. But everything boils down to me and my dogs. That's it. We are not chasing anyone or worrying about anyone else. For me this entire race boils down to myself, Luke, Hagar, Lucky, Bing, Bernard, Lucy, Olaf, Charlie, Felix, and Phoebe. I know all those characters very well and we'll be fine together.

Remember, you can follow the race at www.k300.org . Also, check the blog from time to time. Eric and Ryan may be able to make a post or two.

Time to go.

No comments: