Google

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My Beautiful Wife

Johanna and Jake last winter.


You haven't seen many pictures of Johanna on this blog because she's usually the one behind the camera. Under the title of this blog reads, "The comings and goings of a Rural Alaskan family and their team of working sled dogs." The truth is we wouldn't be coming or going anywhere with out her. She's the backbone of our small family. Modern women wear many hats, but we are her first priority. Anyone who knows her would agree. She is "Mama" to our children and the love of my life.

I know, I know, this is a deviation from the more masculine posts of hard working dogs, dead moose, and such. But let's give credit where credit is do. Johanna is a musher's daughter and first suggested that I get sled dogs. It was always clear they would be my responsibility, but she does feed and care for them on ocassion. Johanna knows how much these dogs mean to me. When times got tough and I wanted to get rid of the dogs, she talked me out of it. With Johanna it's not about dollars and cents, it's about family. Our dogs are a part of who we are as a unit and she embraces them just as she embraces the rest of us.

Before this Kusko 300 quest began, Johanna and I had a talk. I showed her a training schedule and different fund raising options. I asked if I could give it a try and she agreed. So the entire reason I am able to prepare for and run this race in Bethel is because Johanna is willing to sacrifice while I pursue a dream. I definately owe her something big when this is all over...maybe a new house would do the trick.

I don't know why God blessed me with this beautiful woman, but I'm sure glad he did.

No comments: