Google

Friday, October 12, 2007

Uppa Hagar

All but 3 of my dogs are direct decendents of this beautiful 70 pound gray. I bought Hagar from Mitch Seavey the December before Mitch won the Iditarod. Hagar was a wheel dog when I bought him, but soon became a solid gee/haw leader.

Hagar is getting older now, a bit slower and sagging a little in the belly. I learned what sled dogs could really be when I first hitched Hagar in with the team. He pulls and pulls and pulls, there's just no quit in him. No matter the weather, no matter the load, no matter the trail, he pulls with all his strength and all his heart. These vital traits have been passed on to his kids and grandkids. Hagar's determination is the backbone of my dog team.

I'm pretty contected to Hagar. In a lot of ways he taught me what mushing was all about, what it could be. Johanna and the kids love him too. He's the grand old gentleman of our kennel.

It's not as easy for Hagar to stay in front of the younger dogs anymore. One of the reasons I wanted to run the Kusko this year was to do it with Hagar and Lucky (you'll meet Lucky later) while they're still able. I'm not sure if Hagar can put in the miles and finish a 300 mile race at his age. But I know that if he's able, he'll do it. He always has.

This is Hagar.











No comments: