Google

Friday, October 26, 2007

Sponsors and Support

It's not always easy talking about money. I'd much rather engage in a good religous coversation, but just about everything we do these days requires money. Running the Kuskokwim 300 Sled Dog Race this January in Bethel will be no different.

Before asking businesses to help fund this endeavor I had to ask the question, "Why would anyone give me money to go run a dog race?" After some serious thought I came up with a few good answers to that question and sent out letters requesting sponsorship. A few generous business have already decided to help sponsor this effort, many said no, and a few are still thinking about it. Our official sponsors have been listed on the left. Hopefully we'll be adding others before January.

I decided there are a few different reasons businesses and individuals offer financial support to dog mushers. The primary reason is that dog mushers may help you sell something. The year after Jeff King won the Iditarod for the 4th time a good number of mushers switched to his particular style of harness, bought the snowsuit he uses, and gave his favorite dog food an opportunity. Even small town mushers can help advertise for a business in a given area.

There are also those businesses that market Alaska. Every Iditarod musher last year had their picture taken with a bottle of Alaskan Amber. Alaskan Amber is a quality beer that has been well marketed as THE Alaskan beer. Some businesses market within Alaska and we see their products and services being advertised by Iditarod mushers every winter. After all, mushing is our state sport and these men and women are our Alaskan heros. However, many businesses market Alaska to the rest of the world. I've always thought these businesses could benefit from an exchange of money for a weekend's photo shoot with a dog team. I once met a Brazillian who knew absolutely nothing about Alaska except that there was a big sled dog race up here that started with an "I". America, and a good portion of the world, associate mushing with Alaska. There could be potential for small unknown mushers like myself. Where I may not be able to sell tacos, lumber, or snowsuits on a state or national level, I've got a few dogs that would make a heck of a poster hanging in a travel agency in Orange County.

I've not yet struck a sponsorship like this though. My financial support so far has been local. I grew up here and always felt support from this small town. I haven't asked the businesses why they chose to sponsor me, they each probably have their own reasons. We'll be doing things to thank them and promote their businesses. Their generosity is greatly appreciated. They run good businesses I'm happy to support in return.

Not all support is financial of course. One of the things I never tire of is the positive reactions I get when people see me running my dogs. Snowmachines pull way off the trail to give me room to pass. Some give me a thumbs up, everyone smiles and waves, others turn off their machines and watch and hear the team go by. Once a man stood up on his snowmachine and applauded as we passed. There is something about seeing a team of sled dogs traveling across our land. It fits. It's part of our heritage. The dogs evoke memories of a different time, maybe a better time. Regardless, the dogs make people smile and they thank me for that memory, that thought. This is support too. Every one of those poeple has helped me keep these dogs and motivated me to continue on. Their support will help send me to Bethel too.

Nushagak Kennels is traveling to Bethel to run the 2008 Kuskokwim 300. That much is certain. How well we finish remains to be seen. It's been years since a Nushagak team has entered the race and I'm proud to represent our region and its mushing heritage. So whether you have chosen to support me financially or encourage me through word or deed, I thank you. It all makes a difference and without it this dog team would not be headed to Bethel.

Thanks.

No comments: